Our hobby

Before you can get on the air, you need to be licensed. You need to know the rules to operate legally. You also need to know how to operate safely and you’ll need some knowledge and training to operate successfully. Getting licensed is a long standing tradition for hams. US licenses are good for 10 years before renewal, and anyone may hold one except a representative of a foreign government, there is no longer a Morse code requirement.

Amateur Radio is regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) under the Communications Act of 1934. It is also subject to numerous international agreements. All Amateur Radio operators must be licensed. In the US there are three license classes—Technician, General and Extra. Each successive level of license comes with an expansion of privileges.

Online practice tests are available at a number of locations, you may also purchase study guides from the ARRL.

Our hobby takes place according to the FCC and operates within ARRL Bandplan, please see below

HF Hambands_Color